Communications Manager – Job Description
The communications manager serves as a liaison between local, regional and national media contacts and MLA clients. The communications manager publicizes all clients’ messages to traditional media, bloggers, online media and influencers. The communications manager reports to the communications director and they work together to divide the client pitches weekly, based on workload.
The communications manager has a support team that includes:
· A writing team of 4 managed by a long-term MLA contractor. All written materials are created by this team and will be provided to the communications team to pitch.
· Two long-term MLA contractors who specialize in national and targeted media relations, available to pitch specific projects and/or to specific markets.
· Another communications manager to share responsibilities.
· A social media manager to collaborate with for client initiatives.
· Brainstorming pitches, event ideas and promotions. Providing requested materials to media contacts, including: photos (via Dropbox link), logos, press materials and additional client/event information.
· Keeping the pitch calendar up to date (thinking ahead of good pitch ideas).
· Disseminating weekly pitches.
· Distributing press releases via Cision.
· Following up with media to secure coverage.
· Updating media on any changes to the press materials that have been sent.
· Using Cision to pull specific media contacts, lists and additional information.
· Maintaining current list of all media contacts (local, regional and national).
· Researching new media, blogger and influencer contacts.
· Networking and creating relationships with media, bloggers and influencers.
· Inviting media, bloggers and influencers to client events (dinners, tastings, openings, etc.).
· Recognizing long lead and short lead pitches; understanding which media contacts to pitch.
· Working with media contacts and client services team to coordinate photo shoots, interviews and segment tapings.
· Attending photo shoots, segment tapings and events.
· Overseeing and coordinating The Dish.
· Managing the “upcoming clips” list weekly.
· Looking for clips and follow up with media contact if clip does not run.
· Ordering client clips as needed.
· Reviewing and approving daily clips to be shared with clients.
· Reading assigned publications and blogs and send in client clips to “You’re in the News.”
· Creating, editing and sending e-newsletters (Constant Contact, MailChimp, Fishbowl).
· Updating internal documents, passwords and MLA website.
· Updating MLA status report weekly.
· Tracking time daily via Toggl.
· Assist the social media manager in creating copy for social media posts, when needed. Creating presentations for clients, when needed.
1-3 Years Required
Experience in the Restaurant and Hospitality Industry Preferred
Salary & Benefits:
Mid- to High-$30s
14 Days Vacation
Health and Dental Insurance
Retirement Plan After One (1) Year
Interested applicants can submit their cover letter and resume to Tuan Huynh at firstname.lastname@example.org